Control in a World of Chaos
“You justify new clothing and accessories by telling yourself and others that you are in the image business.”
Perhaps this is the most relevant tip in a post titled, “33 (more) Signs You Work in PR” published in Ragan’s PR Daily as it relates to my life. You see, shopping is my vice, my obsession, my addiction and my stress reliever. Sadly, it’s also the reason why I live on Campbell’s chicken noodle soup and Totinos pizza (those grocery items are cheap).
Every time I head to the mall or Anthropologie (my store of choice), I tell myself the following thing: “Courtney, you work in PR. You’ve got to protect your style image.” Actually, I’m not really sure if I have to protect my style image because I work in PR. Shopping is just so fun, though.
Dionne from Clueless, one of the BEST movies of the 90’s, says it best.
“Cher’s main thrill in life is a makeover, it gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos.”
Seriously, I may not shop because I want to protect my fashion image, but I shop because I want to protect my sanity. In a world where technology, business, and schedules control lives, it’s important to take time for one’s self.
Here are a few things you can do for YOU (if you aren’t into shopping):
1. Buy a cupcake from a local cupcake store. Just one can’t hurt you.
2. Treat yourself to a movie. The cocoabeens crew is excited about The Vow.
3. Take guitar (or some other type of instrument) lessons. Mark that off your bucket list.
4. Turn off the computer for 2 hours. You’d be surprised how liberated it will make you feel.
5. Buy some new stationery and pens. Write a note to someone who might need some encouragement or simply a thank you.
What else can you do for YOU? Do you have an escape from everyday life? What’s on your bucket list?